(A) Driving Regulations in the ROC
1. It is against the law to drive while under the influence of alcohol.
(a) A driver is deemed to be driving while under the influence of alcohol if his/her breath alcohol concentration is over the legally permitted limit. As of September 2002, if a driver is found to be over the limit, he/she will be immediately banned from driving, his/her driving license suspended for 12 months, and the car impounded. The driver will also be fined from NT$15,000 to NT$60,000. If the fine is not paid within fifteen days, the court will deal with the case. The fine cannot be waivered in exchange for the license being revoked for a longer period of time. Both punishments must be served.
(b) In the event of an accident involving injury, the driving license will be suspended for 2 years.
(c) In the event of serious injury or death, the driving license will be revoked for life. The driver will also be barred for life from sitting another driving test.
(d) Refusal to be tested will result in the driver being fined NT$60,000, and having his/her driving license revoked. The car will also be impounded.
2. Seat belts must always be fastened while driving. Failure to do so will result in the following penalties:
(a) If the driver or front seat passenger fails to fasten his/her seat belt while driving in the city, the driver will be fined NT$1,500.
(b) If the driver or front seat passenger fails to fasten his/her seat belt while driving on the freeway, the driver will be fined NT$3,000 to NT$6,000.
3. Using a hand-held mobile phone while driving is prohibited. A driver caught dialing or talking while driving will be fined NT$3,000 and a motorcyclist will be fined NT$1,000.
4. Motorcyclists (including passengers) are required to wear motorcycle helmets. Failure to do so will result in a fine of NT$500.
5. Motorists are required to obey all the speed limits. A motorist who drives over or below the stipulated limit will be fined from NT$1,200 to NT$2,400.
6. Running through a set of traffic lights will result in a fine of NT$1,800 to NT$5,400.
7.Drivers must park in designated areas. Failure to park without a permit will result in a fine of NT$600 to NT$1,200; anyone whose car has been towed away will be fined NT$2,100; NT$850 for a motorbike.
8. If a driver is caught driving without a license he/she will be fined NT$12,000. If a driver is stopped and he/she is not carrying their driving license on them, the fine will be from NT$300 to NT$600.
9. When paying tolls on the freeway at a toll station, drivers must stay in to the correct lane; failure to do so will result in a fine of NT$3000.